Home is where we can enjoy the most comfort and familiarity, and it’s for that reason so many people would rather choose aging at home over moving to an assisted living facility. But in many cases wheelchairs will become a part of life when seniors or those with particular disabilities experience decreased mobility. This can be a unique challenge when it comes to aging at home safely. However, a few wheelchair home modifications can considerably improve safety.
The following are just a few modifications and senior safety tips that are recommended to incorporate a wheelchair into the home:
- Ensure that driveways and walkways are smooth, but not slippery.
- Have a ramp installed that leads to the front door with landings at the bottom and the top.
- Doorways should be 32-36 inches wide with sufficient floor space near the doors to maneuver a wheelchair.
- Thresholds on doors need to be ¼ inch or less.
- Cabinet shelves should ideally be a maximum of 10 inches deep.
- Kitchen stove controls should be positioned at the front.
- Make sure there is knee space underneath all sinks.
- Oven doors should be able to swing open to the side.
- For deeper shelves, install a Lazy Susan to permit the person to reach all items.
- Bathrooms ought to have either a wheelchair maneuverable bathtub with a 60-inch turning radius or T-turn space, or a stand-up shower that is curbless and at least 36 inches wide.
- There should be plenty of room to transfer from a wheelchair to the toilet.
- Walk-in closets are great for wheelchair-bound individuals, but a closet organizer that offers the person the ability to reach all items is also a good option.
- In addition, floors should be free of clutter and furniture should be organized for maximum maneuverability.
Effraim Home Care, providers of top-rated home care services, can also assist with home modification ideas and coordination for aging at home. The first step is our complimentary in-home consultation, where we will develop a comprehensive plan of care to address the person’s specific care needs and wishes, and then we monitor that plan ongoing and modify as needs change.
As one of the leading home care agencies serving Reading, PA and the nearby communities, our services are available for just a few hours each week, up through full-time, around-the-clock care. You can reach us any time at (215) 826-7422 to learn more about our senior care services. For more information on all of the areas we serve in Pennsylvania, please visit our Locations Served page.