As Jane Austen once said, “There is nothing like staying at home for real comfort.” And for those with a chronic illness, like multiple sclerosis (MS), remaining as comfortable as possible, and, as safe as possible, is essential.
If you or someone you love has been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, the preliminary step is to seek out the support of a professional MS caregiver with experience in MS-related challenges, who can offer an in-home safety evaluation and make the appropriate recommendations for alterations to the home so that it is a safe, comfortable sanctuary, rather than a dangerous setting.
MS can cause getting around to be complicated, and as day-to-day tasks — including enjoyable activities — can trigger exhaustion more rapidly in individuals with MS, implementing specific changes to the home environment may help preserve energy and increase independence.
A few examples include:
- Substitute thick carpeting with smooth, nonslip flooring for easier mobility
- Place grab bars strategically throughout the bathroom
- Move furniture to widen pathways throughout the residence
- Add items in the tub or shower like a handheld shower head, a slip-resistant bath mat, and a tub chair
- Consider adding a bed rail to provide assistance with switching sleep positions
- Exchange knobs throughout the home with handles, which are simpler to manage
Effraim Home Care can provide home revision suggestions and help with scheduling these customizations to ensure your loved one’s household is a more convenient place for independence. Just a few of the many other ways we can help enhance quality of life for someone by providing an MS caregiver include:
- Planning and preparing wholesome, delicious meals
- Light household chores and laundry
- Support with personal care needs, such as bathing, dressing, and using the restroom
- Transportation and accompaniment to medical appointments, procedures, and fun outings
- Running errands, such as picking up prescriptions and grocery shopping
- Offering friendly companionship to engage in exercise programs, conversations, fun activities, and favorite hobbies
- Medication reminders so medicines are taken exactly as prescribed
- Help with safe ambulation to prevent falls
- And many others, in accordance with each person’s particular needs
To find out more about our professional caregivers in Philadelphia, PA and other nearby areas, call our senior care team at (215) 826-7422. Our MS caregivers can help multiple sclerosis patients stay in the comfort of home, while enjoying life to the fullest each day. To learn more about the different areas we serve in Pennsylvania, please visit our Locations Served page.
Comments are closed.