There’s currently a high priority for hospitals: lowering readmissions for patients who are high-risk. Healthcare Financial Management Association’s article “Two Ways Hospitals Can Reduce Avoidable Readmissions” explains that effective initiatives from hospitals with minimal 30-day rehospitalizations are, to a certain degree, the consequence of working together with inpatient and outpatient care providers, like Effraim Home Care, who can supply a continuum of home care for seniors.
The hospitals mentioned in the article shared the techniques below to help reduce rehospitalizations:
- Start preparing for a patient’s discharge from a hospital visit on the day of admission. When an older adult is admitted to the hospital, contact a home care agency, such as Effraim Home Care, to make arrangements for in-home care upon discharge. Patient outcomes are better when home care services are started as soon as possible following discharge.
- Identify patients who are at a higher risk for difficulties after discharge for additional care coordination and/or case management services. (Make sure social workers visit all patients age 80 and above to provide support with care needs.)
- Utilize technology to evaluate, track, or refer patients.
- Perform a complete evaluation of the patient’s risk factors, care needs, available resources, understanding and management of the disease or health condition, and amount of family support.
At Effraim Home Care, top providers of the senior home care families need, we realize how essential it is to create a transitional care plan in order to minimize the risk of hospital readmissions for older adults. We help seniors plan for care needs beginning on day one of their hospital stay, monitoring their health and ensuring that care plans are put in place as soon as they return home. Call us at (215) 826-7422 or complete our online contact form to learn more about how we can help the seniors you love transition from hospital to home through professional home care services like:
- Supplying training and help with chronic condition management
- Medication reminders so meds are taken exactly as prescribed
- Help with coordination and balance
- Meal planning and preparation
- Help with personal care needs, such as bathing and getting dressed
- Running errands
- Transportation to medical appointments and fun outings
- Friendly companionship to brighten each day
- And much more
Prevent an unnecessary follow-up hospital visit. Partner with Effraim Home Care and see how we provide the senior care Bryn Mawr and other nearby areas prefer most. For more information about the different areas we serve, please visit our Locations Served page.