It’s no secret that a healthy diet is essential for a healthy body. What many people don’t recognize, however, is that dietary recommendations for adults are altered as we grow older. Nutritional experts at Tufts University have introduced MyPlate for older adults, which is a more advanced variation of the previous food pyramid, giving up-to-date dietary guidelines for older adults.
The MyPlate for Older Adults model features facts on foods that are rich in vitamins and minerals and low in sugar, salt, and fat; however, it also gives direction on topics such as advised physical activities and fluid intake, issues that are of specific concern for seniors.
Due to the fact that activity levels are oftentimes lessened, older individuals tend to require fewer calories as they age, but they also still require identical or greater levels of nutrients and regular activity for maximum health. MyPlate for Older Adults advises:
- Brightly-colored vegetables, such as carrots and peppers
- Deep-colored fruits, including berries and melons
- Whole, fortified, enriched grains and cereals, including brown rice
- Low- and non-fat dairy products, including yogurt and low lactose milk
- Liquid vegetable oils and soft spreads, which contain less saturated and trans fats
- Spices instead of salt
- Liquids like water and fat-free milk
- Physical activity, like walking, resistance training, and light household chores
Additionally, other guidelines include taking advantage of choices that are simpler to prepare and minimize waste, including bags of frozen pre-cut vegetables and single-portion containers of fruit.
As the leading home health care agency of Philadelphia, the caregivers at Effraim Home Care know it can be a struggle to help senior loved ones maintain a healthy diet. Our trained and experienced caregivers can help plan and prepare nourishing, appetizing meals in accordance with your loved one’s specific nutritional needs. Contact us online or call us at (215) 826-7422 to learn more about our services in home caregivers in Philadelphia and to arrange a free in-home assessment. To learn more about all of the areas we serve in Pennsylvania, please visit our Service Area page.
Comments are closed.