Caregiving for an aging loved one, though incredibly fulfilling, can also include an elevated amount of caregiver stress. The full-time pressure of addressing a loved one’s care needs can very quickly intensify to become caregiver burnout – a dangerous concern that can result in a loss of patience and emotionally charged outbursts, affecting not just the caregiver personally, but the older adult as well.
It’s important to find out if you might be in danger of developing caregiver burnout, and to find help if warranted. The following brief list of questions from our Horsham home care experts can help uncover if you may have crossed the line from caregiver stress to caregiver burnout:
- Do you no longer find pleasure in activities or interests?
- Do you struggle with back pain, headaches, exhaustion, and/or feeling sad or depressed?
- Are you getting sick more often than in the past?
- Is your temper shorter lately, with the senior or other family and friends, either in private or in public?
- Are you lashing out at your senior loved one when she or he exhibits difficult behaviors?
- Are you more emotional these days? Are you crying for little or no reason?
- Are you gaining or losing weight without trying?
- Do you have problems with falling or staying asleep?
If your answers to these questions are concerning, it might be time to think about finding help, for both yourself and the senior you love.
At Effraim Home Care, our thoroughly trained and experienced caregivers can share the load by providing in-home respite care services – for just several hours each week, full-time, 24-hour care, or anything in between, offering a much-needed break to devote to your own personal needs, enjoy some downtime to rest and recharge, and to empower you to be better equipped to provide the highest quality care for your senior loved one.
Just a few of the numerous ways we can help include:
- Friendly companionship for conversations and enjoyable activities
- Preparing nutritious meals
- Helping with housework and laundry
- Shopping for groceries and running other errands
- Providing transportation and accompaniment to medical appointments and outings
- And much more
To learn more about our Horsham dementia care and home care services, call Effraim Home Care at (215) 826-7422. For a full list of areas where Effraim Home Care services are available, visit our Locations Served page. Working with our professional care team means you’re never alone!