Numerous people in the United States are finding themselves performing family caregiving duties for a senior loved one, and while being a family caregiver is exceedingly rewarding in many ways, the everyday responsibilities involved with senior care may become tedious for both the caregiver and the senior. Effraim Home Care, providers of the professional home care throughout Berks County, wants to help you put the fun back into your loved one’s daily routine. All it takes is a little ingenuity! Try some of these suggestions to help brighten your loved one’s day and make daily senior care more interesting:
These recommendations can add some style and fun to getting dressed, doing laundry, and other chores:
- Ask the older adult to assist with laundry (sorting/folding/putting away). Use this time to discuss your day, a television show you both like, etc.
- Flip through magazines and catalogs and pick out fashions you think the other person would look good in.
- Make selecting clothes and accessories to wear every day a fun occasion!
Spice Up Meals
Food defines our culture, family history and traditions, and is associated with a myriad of emotions. Make mealtime more fun by:
- Including the older person in washing/drying dishes.
- Inviting the older person to assist in making a traditional family dish.
- Enjoying meals outdoors when weather allows.
Try Something New
There’s always something new to be learned, and no better time than today to try out a new hobby or pursue a goal. There are numerous virtual classes available, with some targeted specifically to seniors and offering lower (or no-cost) rates. Look for opportunities to learn:
- A new language.
- How to play a musical instrument.
- Skills like sewing, culinary arts, cultivating plants, drawing – the choices are unlimited!
Effraim Home Care’s senior care experts understand that family caregiving for an elderly loved one can be both gratifying and daunting, and we want you to know that you’re not alone. We offer friendly companionship, personal hygiene services such as showering, dressing, and grooming assistance, and motivation to engage in a variety of fun activities for seniors.