From sunrise to sunset, every day in the life of those with diabetes is inundated with a number of different requirements to take care of the disease. Between medications, injections of insulin, checking blood sugar levels, physical exercise, and handling nutritional needs, diabetes management for older adults can be stressful.
Effraim Home Care’s Bryn Mawr home care experts understand the challenges and struggles of diabetes care management, and recommend the tips below to help reduce stress and remain in ideal health:
- Keep in mind that no one is perfect. Effective diabetes care does not mean being perfect with care each day. Some days will just be better than other days and it is very important to extend some grace and learn from mistakes made along the way.
- Recognize care barriers. Barriers to diabetes care management might include:
- Requiring more information/education on proper diabetic care
- Keeping away from circumstances that could interrupt a care schedule
- Excuses to conquer about getting adequate exercise
- Dietary habits that might be driven more by emotions than actual hunger
- Depression or other mental health concerns
- Stay upbeat. Through everything, a positive mindset can go a long way. Rather than thinking, “I will never be able to manage my diabetes—I might as well plan on having health problems,” try thinking, “I didn’t pay enough attention to my portion sizes at breakfast; that’s why my blood sugar is too high. I need to plan ahead and keep food portion sizes in line with my nutrition plan or cover with added insulin if I eat more than I meant to.”
- Accept assistance. Family members, friends and coworkers often provide a great shoulder to lean on. Just let them know what is helpful and what to watch for. In-home care is also a wonderful resource for diabetes care support and encouragement.
For more helpful suggestions on easing the burden of diabetes care management, or any chronic illness, get in touch with Effraim Home Care at (215) 826-7422. Our experienced and highly skilled senior care team is on hand to plan and prepare wholesome and delicious meals, pick up medications, provide transportation to doctors’ appointments, and much more. We’re on hand to help 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year according to each person’s particular preferences and schedule. Offering home care in Bryn Mawr, in addition to many other PA communities, we look forward to helping make life easier and more enjoyable for you and the older adults you love!
Comments are closed.