Loved ones providing COPD care for a senior know that outdoor air pollution can worsen symptoms. However, did you realize that lower air quality inside the home can also magnify COPD symptoms? Cleaning the air inside the house can help those with COPD – and everyone in the home – breathe better.
The Haverford Township skilled nursing specialists at Effraim Home Care suggest these additional practices to reduce COPD exacerbation:
- Prohibit Inside Smoking. Do not smoke or allow others to smoke in the home of someone with COPD. If the home contains a woodstove or fireplace, know that it can also be a source of irritation for the senior with COPD.
- Stay Away from Chemical Exposure. Chemicals in the household, including cleaning products and paint, can trigger COPD complications, so limit the use of these products, and make sure to store cleaning products with the lids on when not in use. It’s also a good idea to check into more natural cleaning options, including vinegar and baking soda.
- Reduce Dust. Wash bed linens every week, get rid of clutter, and ensure that pets stay off furniture to limit the amount of dust and dander buildup in these places.
- Clean the Air in the Home. Use an air filtration product with a HEPA air filter. Though air pollution is not as much a problem in rural areas as it is in the city, someone with COPD can still benefit from filtered air to eliminate irritants and toxins.
- Keep Floors Clean. Ensuring floors are swept and clean decreases allergen buildup. Bear in mind that wooden floors are easier to maintain in an allergen-free condition than rugs and carpeting.
- Use a Humidifier. Dry air can make COPD challenges even worse, as can air that is too damp. Aim for a level of around 40% humidity in the home for someone with COPD.
COPD patients can breathe easier with the assistance of Effraim Home Care. Our experts can share:
- Helpful, informative resources about COPD care and management
- Exercise guidelines to ease symptoms
- Nutritional and dietary guidelines
- Skills to better manage symptoms
- And a broad range of home care services
Our extensively trained and experienced home health care team will begin by providing a complimentary in-home consultation to develop a care plan to address your loved one’s care needs. Effraim Home Care is readily available to provide personalized home care and skilled nursing in Haverford Township and surrounding areas. Call us at your convenience at (215) 826-7422 to learn more about the many ways our professional home health care team can help maintain wellness on a daily basis.