Today’s older adults are flooded with an explosion of advanced aging in place technology aimed at increasing their independence and safety and contributing to life enhancement. With the touch of a button or two, older adults can instantaneously pay a visit “in person” with family and friends through Skype, wear a necklace that responds with emergency help and support when necessary, and even stay safe from wandering with specialized receptors attached to apparel or shoes.
The issue becomes how to motivate older individuals (and family members who care for them) to shift from a low-tech mind-set to making use of all that’s available to them, something that’s always top of mind for us at Effraim Home Care. A recent Caring.com research report showed that as few as 15% of families caring for senior loved ones are actually utilizing aging in place technology.
The typical obstacles:
- Stigma. Many people see the use of some technology, like medical alert jewelry, as equal to the loss of their independence.
- Finding help. Problem-solving with technology causes many older adults and their caregivers to quit attempting to get gadgets to work.
- A lack of time. Setting aside time to learn and try something new is very daunting for busy families who care for their loved ones.
If you’re willing to try and incorporate medical technology into senior caregiving but are encountering these difficulties, call on Effraim Home Care for help. Our competent and patient care aides can help conquer the technological hurdles by:
- Recommending technology that fits a loved one’s personality and issues
- Implementing and providing training on how to use the technology
Whether it is providing instruction on how to enjoy software on a smartphone, or arranging for a personal medical alert system, we can keep seniors connected to friends and family and help them enjoy life to the fullest. Contact us any time at (215) 826-7422 to learn more about our preferred home health care in Allentown, PA, and other surrounding areas. For more information about all of the areas our services are available in Pennsylvania, please visit our Locations Served page.